There are almost 2,000 hotel rooms in Greenburgh. Other communities in New York State and Westchester have been granted permission by NYS to tax hotel guests. The NYS Legislature would have to grant Greenburgh permission to impose a hotel tax on guests. The Town Board will discuss asking the NYS Legislature for permission to have a hotel tax on Tuesday. If the State Legislature authorizes the town to have a hotel tax we could probably generate up to a few hundred thousand dollars a year in revenue –which would reduce YOUR taxes. Although I hope that the state will authorize Greenburgh to raise revenues thru a hotel tax, we will not incorporate any revenues in the 2010 budget since we’re not sure what will happen in Albany.
This years budget is difficult because:
1) Our benefit costs (retirement and medical are up 1.2 million dollars)
2) Our mortgage tax is down 1.3 million dollars.
3) There was a 7.8 million dollar reduction in assessed valuation.
4) Interest income is down by about $300,000 in the A budget and $650,000 in the B budget
5) Sales tax revenue is down $700,000
The members of the Greenburgh Town Board are working very hard trying to keep the 2010 taxes as low as possible. We are making substantial cuts in the proposed budget which will be released a week from today.
Governor Approves Legislation Authorizing the Cities of New Rochelle, Rye, and White Plains to Raise Revenues through Hotel Occupancy Taxes
Senator Suzi Oppenheimer (D-Mamaroneck) announced that legislation to authorize the cities of New Rochelle and White Plains to impose hotel room occupancy taxes was passed by the Senate and signed into law by Governor Paterson. The Governor also approved legislation extending the City of Rye’s authority to impose its own hotel occupancy tax.
S. 1886 (Oppenheimer), S. 1887 (Oppenheimer) and S. 1087 (Oppenheimer) permit the cities of New Rochelle, Rye and White Plains, respectively, to enact a daily room tax of up to three percent on hotels, motels, inns, clubs or similar places of public accommodation.
“Three years ago, I sponsored legislation allowing the city of Rye to impose a hotel occupancy tax,” said Senator Oppenheimer. “Rye became first the local government in Westchester County to gain this authority, which has become an important revenue-raising alternative to local property taxes.”
The City of New Rochelle estimates that it will raise between $200,000 and $250,000 in new revenue from the hotel room tax, while the City of Rye stands to collect over $170,000 by the extension of its taxing authority.
“In these difficult economic times, municipal governments all over the state have been faced with declining revenues, most notably reductions in sales tax revenues,” observed Senator Oppenheimer. “Local governments must be given greater flexibility to raise revenue other than by increasing already high property taxes. I am pleased that the Governor has enacted these tax bills into law, and I favor expanding this taxing authority to other cities and smaller municipalities that request it,” said the Senator.
Town of Greenburgh
Work Session Agenda of the Greenburgh Town Board
Tuesday – October 27, 2009 – 9:00AM
(As of September 15, 2009 – Work Sessions will begin at 9:00AM
Except where schedule changes are made by the Board)
(Please note that, although the Work Session Agenda is shared with the public prior to each Work Session, the Agenda may be revised at any point up to the start of the meeting as well as during the meeting, if necessary.)
(All Work Sessions are Televised Live on Cablevision Channel 76, Verizon 35 and are streamed live. Work Sessions and Town Board Meetings will be aired each Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 7:02am and 4:45pm. Each segment will run for approximately 6 to 7 hours,
depending upon the length of the two meetings.)
09:00AM Agenda Review
09:15AM The Budget
11:00AM Hotel Tax
11:25AM Confirm Dates for November/December Work Sessions and
11:30AM Executive Session – Personnel
12:00noon Adjourn Meeting
This Weekend on RivertownsGuide.com…..
- Farmers Markets
- PHOTOcentric: A Juried Photography Exhibition in Garrison
- Neu Nights Out in Purchase
- Middle School Dance Night at Life, Ardsley
- Ashford & Simpson in Tarrytown
- Music (most is Free!) in Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Tarrytown, Piermont,
- Friends of the Warner Library Fall Book Sale, Tarrytown
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the Emelin Theater
- Spooktoberfest for Kids
- Family Fun Fair and Open House || Coop
- "Rabbit Hole" at the Irvington Library
- Closing Reception, Don Axleroad, and Performance by Katherine Adamenko at Blue Door Gallery
- Dancing with the Teachers II at the Campus Theater, Irvington
- The Harlem Wizards take on the Hastings Hotshots in the HHS Gym
- Captain William “Chip” Reynolds will present Life Aboard the Half Moon at the Beczak
- Diana Jones at the Common Ground Coffeehouse, Hastings
- Johnny Winter at Irvington Town Hall
- Halloween Hoorah! at The New York Botanical Gardens
- Scarecrows and Pumpkins Parade at the Greenburgh Nature Center
- "Walkure": part of the Film Festival @ Irvington Town Hall Theater
- River Songs: A Celebration of the Hudson: A Tribes Hill Production at the Beczak
- Student Musicale at the Dobbs Ferry Library
- Film Screening "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" at the Hastings Library
- Chrysalis Consort performing Bach Masterworks at Mercy College Rotunda
- Breast Cancer Fundraiser: In the Pink Foundation at Pumpernickel Restaurant
- "Notorious" - Classic Film Series: Alfred Hitchcock at the Paramount, Peekskill
Go to http://www.rivertownsguide.com for more information on these and many more events this weekend.
Upcoming Documentaries and Classic Films Playing in the Area
Sunday, October 25 "Walkure"
- 1pm - "Walkure": part of the Film Festival @ Irvington Town Hall Theater
- 7:30pm: “Notorious”: Wednesday Night Classics Series: Hitchcock @ Paramount Center for the Arts, Peekskill
Wednesday, October 28
- 7:30pm: “Autumn Hearts: A New Beginning”: Mayim Film Series: Individual Choices @ Greenburgh Hebrew Center
Saturday, October 31
- 10pm “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” @ Irvington Town Hall Theater
- 11pm “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” @ Tarrytown Music Hall
Go to http://www.rivertownsguide.com/20localevents.php for more information on all of theses great films
Save the Date . . . . .
- Friday, November 6 -- Hastings Friday Night LIVE | Village of Hastings
- Friday & Saturday, November 13 &14 from 10am - 5pm -- Fall Book Sale | Irvington Public Library
- Saturday, November 14 from 7pm - 10pm -- Westchester County’s First Annual ’Stache-Off | Music Conservatory of Westchester, White Plains
- Halloween Fun -- http://tinyurl.com/ykhemb3
Greenburgh: Named by MONEY MAGAZINE in 2008 as “ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE” IN AMERICA (#80)
JOB E MAIL LIST---I am trying to help unemployed Greenburgh residents find work. If your company/business has any job openings please e mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are out of work and want to be advised of job openings please advise.